How do we focus our activities?
The Northern Drakensberg Khanyisela Project focuses primarily on:
- Training and equipping teachers with the expertise needed to develop the children’s full potential
- Build new and/or additional classrooms.
- Upgrading and ongoing maintenance of school facilities
- Supplying sufficient educational toys and books to each school
- Providing a nutritionally balanced meal to every pupil, every day
- Promoting parent and community participation in the management and implementation of programs
- Stimulating the local economy by contracting small businesses/individuals from the community for the services required by the project.
The BabyBoost programme enables local mentors to teach mothers and carers six key messages. These messages help them to interact with their babies in ways that boost their learning and communication development:
- Talk to your baby
- Cuddle your baby
- Sing to your baby
- Read to your baby
- Respond to your baby
- Play with your baby